Sunday 13 January 2013

2012 Movies

Did pretty well with catching movies last year, even seeing my first James Bond movie at the cinema since Live and Let Die! Also saw a few on planes during various travels, so fairly easy to pick my favourites this time;

     The Avengers

Avengers Assemble PosterMy 12 year old self would simply not believe that this would ever be made, not just made, but be so well done, almost unbelievable really from the days of Lou Ferrigno's Hulk and those ropey Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man movies.

Despite my genuine admission that I no longer read superhero comics, I do enjoy (most of) the movies, featuring versions of my cherished childhood heroes.

The story may be predictable but the great cast, dialogue, terrific action and effects more than make up for that by being so much darned fun, and to my 12 year old self, thats enough!

The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises PosterNo surprises really that this comic book fan loved this movie and you've got to admit it pretty much lived up to expectations, which after The Dark Knight is of course no mean feat.

I've since watched it again after getting the Blu-ray for Christmas (thanks Scott!) and it stood up pretty good, strong steady acting, action and tension growing and those endings, both perfectly finishing Nolan's trilogy off and opening doors for possible continuation, very well done.

Oddly I've never been much of a Batman man, having very few of the comics, but these movies have been something very special.

Moonrise Kingdom

Moonrise Kingdom PosterI caught this movie on one of our flights last year and what an unexpected gem! Its cinema release had passed me by despite its A list stars who play fairly low key supporting roles.

In this Wes Anderson directed film, it is the young lead actors who catch the eye in a wonderful quirky tale of runaway love set in 1965 taking in dysfunctional families, Scout troops, impending storms and much more underscored by an emotive soundtrack.

I chuckled my way through the movie on the plane, much to my wife's embarrassment, but finally she too was chuckling away as we watched the DVD together.  

If you've not see it, check out the trailer for yourself;


So that's it for my movies, I wasn't amazed by Spider-Man and if that was the best ever James Bond I've certainly not missed anything! Honourable mentions to flawed delights Ruby Sparks, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Safety Not Guaranteed (another in-flight find) which were all pretty good and provided more than a few moments of adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment