Sunday 22 January 2023

USUTHU!


Some quiet reflection to remember the 22 January 1879 events in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa which impacted on so many and still echoes in history today. I have previously mentioned the memorable trip I made in returning to the battlefields in 2019 as part of the 140th anniversary and while much has changed, annual commemoration events continue to be held at both iSandlwana and Rorke's Drift. 

This year, I only had the chance to rewatch the movie Zulu Dawn to mark the occasion and from afar,  watched with interest those able to attend this year's activities, fondly recalling my own visits and those I shared the experience with.

The UK's Die Hards at Rorke's Drift 22 January 2019
Making a new friend at the iSandlwana battlefield 2019
The Die Hards preparing to 'hold the line' 

Historian & Author Ian Knight points out the Zulu positions
 at iSandlwana (Jan 2019)

There are some tours and travel planned this year but at the moment, it's sadly unlikely I'll be able to join those overseas but something special much closer to home is looking promising which I'll update further when able and provides a further incentive to release you know what!.


No comments:

Post a Comment