Sunday 8 January 2023

Don't look back in anger!

Well one of us had the 'hump' last year!

Happy New Year all, can't believe it's 2023 already! Last year just flew by with an especially busy last few months meaning things rather crept up on me, but we're here now.

The year end can be a time of reflection and with several unscheduled trips to Scotland I'd plenty of time for that accompanied by a fine soundtrack on the car stereo - The Associates, Bowie, Marillion, Gerry Rafferty, Waterboys, Scott Walker keeping my thoughts company.

All in all, I'm fairly happy with how the comic year panned out, despite the demise of our Accent UK comic publishing collective. Sad and unexpected as this was, I was determined not to give up and to carry on with the events and festivals already committed to, buoyed by the many messages of support received. 

Thankfully comic sales were strong and I was flattered by the many encouraging comments about my art style and story themes - one kind chap at a busy London MCM Comic-Con sought me out to say how much my World War 2 story had touched him to the degree he'd brought the comic into work to show and discuss with his colleagues as an example of not knowing what people you meet are going through or have experienced. I was a bit overwhelmed by this to be honest but very grateful he'd taken the time to share with me.

A panel From Moments Vol. 2's 'Smokes' story

It just shows that you never know how your work will be received or what it means to people and I certainly encourage you to pass on your own positive words of support to your favourite comic creators as you may just say the right thing at the right time to help them through a difficult period as this chap had done to me when I had been at a low ebb.


Most of my creative time had gone into producing new art prints and unique watercolour character sketches for my comic packs and while the prints were only a modest success, I struggled at times to keep up with demand for the character sketches which was gratifying.

Positives aside, I won't deny there were a lot of challenges being a newly independent solo artist, particularly at larger events. I think I'd forgotten how logistically tough they could be and again was grateful for the offers of assistance and support received. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself and your work out there, riding the rollercoaster of rejection and praise and I was reminded of the respect all artists should receive for just being there, following their passion, regardless of whether their work is to your taste or not.

I've already a few events lined up this year as I continue my creative journey with it becoming increasingly clear that people are eager for my new material so I'm pleased to say that in-between everything else going on that things are happening - watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new, Colin - hope it's an exceptional one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Garen and you, here's hoping there's time to finish our respective 'passion projects'!

      Delete