Wednesday 5 January 2022

Dans La Tete De Sherlock Holmes!

My Accent UK buddy, Dave West actually spotted this great article on John Freeman's ever reliable Down The Tubes comics news site before I did and I thought it sounded familiar?

Checking out John's excellent article confirmed by thoughts, that this was one of the BD's I picked up when last in Brussels in summer 2019 - oh for the days of eazy, safe European travel to return!. 

I've long since fallen in love with the 9th Art since making our first trip to France many years ago and since then have steadily built up a sizeable collection of tomes, most of which have never been translated into English. 

My Francais sadly remains basic, but with strong art, a dictionary and a bit of perserverance, you can get the gist of a well told story and I've taken delight and inspiration from my BD souvenirs over the years in a way that a holiday T-shirt or trinket just can't match!.

In any case, The Sherlock Holmes book really caught my eye with it's distinctive art and cover, which like most BD's is hardback but with a unique die-cut so you can indeed see "Inside the Mind" of the great detective! 

The interiors follow this novel idea with intrically designed pages, panels and pictures which carry you carefully through the story, following the clues and making discoveries as you go - it's a real visual treat with lots of innovative tricks to enjoy along the way.    

The creators, Cyril Lieron and Benoit Dahan make a great team and have really come up with a fun and novel way of giving new life to the old detective.

We are lucky these days that more and more European works have now been translated into English so we can finally fully enjoy them and many of my recent favourite reads have come from Cinebook or IDW EuroComics impressive Corto Maltese or Magnetic Press's Sergi Toppi collection etc. In his article John hopes that someone too will pick up this Sherlock Holmes series so fingers-crossed, in the meantime I'd settle for being able to safely travel to Europe again and pick up the next installments in person! 


No comments:

Post a Comment